Tuesday 28 February 2012

Friday 18.11.11 12th full day in Uganda

Mostly random photos - except the ones of me and Louvisa
At Nursery school I helped the children practise for their Parent’s Night Concert. They are very cute, but not very good at remembering the words.

At lunch I went to Kampala on a boda to buy some books. Turns out the first Christian bookshop really wasn’t very good. So I went to the standard general bookstore, and bought 3 books. I am hoping that it will be enough for me, because I don’t know where I can buy anything else I actually want to read. The boda driver on the way back, Stuart, wanted a contract to drive me in Uganda. I told him no, and I am leaving shortly, and probably won’t be going back to town.

At primary school, I helped first Louvisa and then David with their reading. Louvisa is the third of 7 children, and the only one currently at school, and she was only there because she was sponsored. Her sponsor however has lost his job, and so she is no longer sponsored. It means that she may not be returning to school next year. She went through my small handbag and asked if she could have the handwipe I had packed. I gave it to her, and she wiped her hands (which were filthy, btw – she hadn’t washed them at all that day), then she pocketed it to use for later. She also asked for my bag, saying that if I gave it to her, she would pray that God would bless me and then I would have the money to buy another bag. I felt terrible – the bag was free from my flight, and I had 2 anyway, and would most likely get another 2 on the way back. So I gave her the bag.

Above: Me and Louvisa. Below: Louvisa

But what was saddest was that when I mentioned that I will have to go back to Australia, she asked me if I could take her with me. I told her no, I wasn’t allowed to. She asked if I did, would my mother beat me. I said no, but that our government has laws about who can take home children from other countries – they have to check your house, make sure that you are safe. It made me extremely sad, especially as I would happily adopt several children.

Before dinner, Auntie Florence introduced me to her daughter, Penny. Penny is working with children as well, but is just starting out and has no formal training in this area, so Auntie Florence thought it would be a good idea if she could contact me about different questions she has. So I’ve given her my email, and I have hers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment