Tuesday 22 May 2012

Day 3 (10 Dec 2011)

Do you believe you can be used by God today?
What are the things that may be hindering you from serving God today?
These are the questions we discussed together during our morning quiet time.

Today, we did something separate from Hope Manila. We went all the way to San Jose to visit Alvin and Jace, the independent missionaries, at International Christian College of Manila. We were supposed to sing carols and hand out gifts to children and their families. One of the main preparations for this mission trip was singing our carols, which I did not have the privilege to practice with the others until I arrived in Manila. On top of songs like Angels We Have Heard On High and Oh Come All Ye Faithful, we also sang a Filipino Christmas song: Star Ng Pasko or the Star of Christmas. This was only the first of many days of caroling. Joy!

To get there, we went on a long journey. We walked down an alley, climbed a flight of stairs, took the train all the way to the end, got out, walked along a flyover, took another train, got out, climbed down some stairs, took a jeepney, got out, took a tricycle, and we reached our destination, in one and a half hours.

This is us in a Jeepney.

The college has a big iron gate and high walls with broken glass set in concrete. Hmm...was it to prevent people from going in, or coming out? As soon as I set foot inside, we were greeted by all these children and mums in the courtyard.

Paul looked puzzled.

  
Come to think of it, where are all the dads?

Then they started hogging the camera.

Those 'V' symbols have to mean something.

Paul: "Hmm...what shall I do with all these children?"

Paul "I know! I'll tell them a story!"

Paul seemed to connect really well with the kids. The mums and children will all join us together for a Saturday Christmas morning service. Before that, we met Alvin and Jace (hugs and kisses) and a couple of familiar faces as well (not to me tho'). We helped with some of their gift packing before we finally headed for the service, adorned with Santa hats and star props, guys in red and girls in green. (Obviously, Paul forgot!)


The service was mostly in English, and there were a few performances other than our caroling. We had mums singing, mums dancing, and kids singing. They were all awesome. 







My dream is to see our Christmas service have performances from every single age group in our church, mums, kids, students. Weeks later, I would attend a baptist Christmas morning service and I was just as inspired as the youths and mums gave us wonderful performances. Surely our church can take this up...

After that, the kids received their toys.



The mums are the next ones to receive gifts.




We had to leave early because we needed to reach Hope Manila in time to give our worship workshop. So, adios, San Jose!


Have I told you that Hope Manila has a 24-hour intercessory prayer going on every day? We had the workshop in one of the small side rooms, had praise and worship, and each of us shared what true worship is. Me? I shared about dancing and serving, and how that is the way I worship, the way God has created me to be. I had no idea how hungry these people are to hear our sharings and teachings, that they took time off to come to church and meet us. We feel so privileged. :) Let's not forget to mention that since this is a worship workshop, these people are also hungry for the presence of God. We as a team led everyone into  one of the most intense worship sessions I have ever been in, where people were just soaking in the presence of God and not wanting to leave, ever. 

To end off this wonderful but tiring day, we ate pizza! Why am I not in the picture? Because we previously were sitting at a separate basement food court and I went to order my meal. By the time I came back, everyone had shifted upstairs. Sniff...they must have forgotten about me. So...no pizza for me.


So, that's it for Day 3. 5 more days left and still got lots more to do. What's in store for me and the gang? Stay tuned to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment